I believe in making the punishment fit the crime. For example, if they make a mess, the punishment is having to clean it up. If they chew on a toy, the toy goes in the trash. I also try the reward system a lot. If you clean your room, then you get to go to Nana's.
Last night, the little rugrats decided to turn the tables on me. We were eating supper and Jace just pops out with "Daddy, Mama made me use your sink after you told me not to. I think she needs a spanking." Whoa! Wait a minute...I let you use his sink and now you are tattling on me... not cool Jace!! He then goes on to tell Tyler that I need spankings... three of them!! Tyler says ok, gets up to go to the truck where he keeps the paddle. (He found an old school paddle at the farm. It's never been used on the kids, he just keeps it around mostly as a joke.) On his way out the door he says something to the effect of ok one for Mama and two for Jace.
Jace starts crocodile tear crying! I don't want a spanking.. they are only for you. I wasn't about to help the kid out... you got us into this bud..
Tyler comes in and tells Jace he was joking that HE doesn't get a spanking, only Mama. (Thanks honey!) The kids then help Tyler chase me around the house and finally corner me to spank me. I grab Mallori and hold her behind me so she gets the "spanking." They had a blast.... little toots!!
Tonight, Mallori got her fair share of real spankings for not cleaning her room. However, after over 2 hours in her room by herself, several talks with me, about 4 spankings, a screaming-at-the-top-of-my-lungs-I-wanna-go-to-my-real-Mama's fit, a delayed supper because she couldn't calm down and a complete rearranging of her room, it's done. One day that child will learn that even though she is ridiculously stubborn, I will win!!! I am more stubborn. And I have to brag a little. I didn't even lose my cool!
Monday I came home a wreck in her room. Every toy box was emptied. Dresser drawers were dumped on the floor. Craft supplies were thrown from one end to the other. Stuffed animals all over. Blankets off the bed and on the floor. Dirty clothes exploded everywhere. Every book off of the bookshelf in a pile on her chair.
We told her then that she would have to clean it before Thursday if she wanted to go to Nana's. Like I said, one horrible night later, she's smiling because she gets to go... What am I gonna do with that girl!?!?!?



1 comment:
'Separation from her audience'...haha that had me giggling!
Post a Comment